9 Dec 2012

crêperie


I didn't think to make crepes anytime soon, until I saw Evan's post the other night. I haven't made crêpes in a long time. The last time I remember making it was on two separate occasions. Both crêpe cakes. Once at an old friend's 18th, where it was declared orgasmic by a handful of (drunk?) teenagers and during the end of high school gathering at my place. Lots of oohs and aahs when it was being sliced.

The recipe that I continue to use today comes from Michel Roux's Only The Best. It's been good to me and I don't think I'll ever use a different recipe. The first crêpe will always be ugly, but it gets better after that. Thin, bubbly crêpes with flaky sides. A few tips, lightly grease the pan (even if you're using a non-stick) after each crêpe, be quick and don't be afraid of burning yourself. 

As for the sauce, throw in a chunk of butter after reducing orange juice, zest and rosemary syrup. Velvety and slightly bitter. Next time I think I'll strain my sauce for a smooth finish.

Here's another crêpe recipe by Michel Roux.