30 Nov 2010

how to update: choux a la creme

cream puffs :)

Baking cream puffs was once a very intimidating thing for me to do. The most frustrating thing I found about making the choux pastry is probably when the choux has risen in the oven, only to find them deflating when taking them out to cool.

After more than half a year of baking them, they're not so hard to make after all! When I made them at school, they were pretty popular and every time friends come over, I end up baking a batch to share. Though, Mrs Roddick always seems to enjoy eating the creme patisserie more :P Just waiting for Mrs Roddick and Doodie to have time to come over to bake a croquembouche!

I've come up with another set of mumble jumbo notes (improved version) for my self reference. If you're interested, my first set of notes can be found here.

***

  • 1 egg (+ 1 egg yolk, if needed) per batch
  • Right consistency - firm, does not fall off the spoon
  • Pipe dough "tall", approx. 3 cm strip / diameter
  • Bake in the oven for 200°C for 20 minutes, lower temperate to 150°C and further bake for another 20 minutes
  • Creme patisserie; 2 yolk custard and 150 ml cream, whipped