10 Aug 2010

mini strawberry pancakes

mini strawberry pancakes
A table for two, but no one to share with :( I'll invite someone over next time :)
Since I have already established I LOVE breakfasts in a previous post, I shall refrain from repeating myself.

Two weeks ago, the food tech students in my school have just started production in regards to the design folio. As I had time to spare, I was being a busy body looking at what kind of foods other people were making. They were busy making a variety of foods; exotic mango and coconut prawns, sweet and sour pork, turkish delight, honeycomb cake, cupcakes just to name a few. The girl who uses the stove top next to mine was making pancakes!
strawberry pancakes
Seeing her make pancakes reminded me of ラブソーライフ, a manga chapter featured in the April 2009 花とゆめ; a birthday gift from my friends at Chinese school last year.
Anyway the chapter was about Shiharu, a 16 year old babysitter trying to make pancakes with the two two-year-old rascals Aoi and Akane. In one scene, Akane decides to make strawberry pancakes by throwing in whole strawberries inside -_-"
Although inspired by the idea of having strawberries inside pancakes, I did not add whole strawberries to the batter :P And I think these pancakes are the best ever!!
***
strawberry pancakes
mini strawberry pancakesadapted from my previous recipe
ingredients:makes 10 ~ 12 mini pancakes
  • 1 egg
  • 2 1/2 Tb caster sugar
  • 75 ml milk
  • 1 1/2 Tb unsalted butter / margarine, melted
  • dash of vanilla essence
  • 75 g self raising flour, sifted
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder, sifted
  • 4 strawberries, chopped into small pieces
  • unsalted butter / oil for frying
method:
  1. Using a whisk, beat the egg and sugar until frothy.
    Whisk while adding the milk, melted butter / margarine and vanilla essence.

  2. Add the sifted flour, baking powder and strawberry pieces and whisk to make a smooth and runny batter.

  3. Heat a non stick frying pan and add a small piece of butter / drizzle of oil.
    Wipe fat off with kitchen paper and reserve. Turn heat to a medium high*.

  4. Add 2 Tb of batter and flip with a spatula when many bubbles appear on the surface.
    Cook other side until golden.

  5. Wipe the frying pan with the kitchen paper and repeat step 4 until there is no more batter.

  6. To serve, drizzle pancakes with honey and top with half a strawberry.
* For the heat use, I generally start of using a medium high heat and lowering it each time as the pan gets hotter.
strawberry pancakes